Frequently Asked Questions
What is the status of Chugach buying Municipal Light & Power?
The Regulatory Commission of Alaska has approved the acquisition of Municipal Light & Power by Chugach Electric Association. Chugach and the Municipality of Anchorage anticipate closing the transaction on October 30, 2020.
What do current ML&P customers need to do now?
Nothing. You should continue to contact ML&P Customer Service for any service needs prior to October 30, 2020.
What are the benefits of being a Chugach member?
Chugach is a cooperative, formed to serve its member-owners. Guided by a seven-member board of directors, members choose the directors by voting in the annual election. In addition, Chugach returns surplus revenues to members through its capital credits program. By putting money back in the pockets of members, Chugach keeps money in the local economy. Chugach is proud to support our communities and our members in this way.
What do I need to do now?
What do I need to do before the anticipated close date of October 30, 2020?
ML&P payment options will be changing. Identify how these changes affect your bill payment and make a plan on how you will pay your ML&P bill.
Changes to the ways to pay your ML&P bill:
- Auto Pay with credit card or electronic funds transfer (EFT) – If you use autopay, your September billing statement will be the last statement drafted by auto pay. Your October bill statement will need to be paid to ML&P manually by cash, check or credit card. We anticipate that you will be able to enroll in Chugach’s Autopay Program after Nov. 4.
- Online or phone payments – Payments by credit card via phone or the ML&P Portal will end on Oct. 23. We anticipate that you will be able to pay via credit card at Chugach Electric after Nov. 4.
- Lobby and drive-thru – ML&P’s lobby and drive-thru is expected to be closed Oct. 27 – Nov. 4 for the transition. We anticipate that you will be able make payments in person after Nov. 4 at both Chugach North, 1120 E 1st Ave (old ML&P location) and at Chugach South, 5601 Electron Dr.
- Payment by check – Starting Oct. 30, payments made by check should be mailed to Chugach Electric Assn., PO Box 196760, Anchorage, AK 99519-6760.
- Bill pay services – If you use a bill pay service or a 3rd party vendor to make payments, you will need to contact your bill pay vendor to change the Payee for your electric service to Chugach Electric starting on Oct. 30.
- MOA locations – On Oct. 23, Anchorage Water & Wastewater Utility, Solid Waste Services and City Hall will STOP accepting payments on behalf of ML&P. Starting Oct. 30, all ML&P payments are to be remitted to Chugach. Also, on Oct. 23, ML&P will STOP accepting payments for AWWU and SWS. Chugach Electric is not an entity of the Municipality of Anchorage and is unable to accept payments on behalf of AWWU, SWS or any municipal services.
What do I need to do after the anticipated close date of October 30, 2020?
New Chugach members will need to fill out a member application and provide a copy of photo ID. Chugach also encourages you to register for My Account, the member portal. My Account allows you to pay your bill, sign up for paperless billing, enroll in AutoPay, track your usage, and sign up for outage and threshold notifications.
I am moving at the end of October or early November, who should I contact?
Contact ML&P on or before October 29 or Chugach after October 30 for any move in or move out during the transition time.
I am an ML&P customer facing a financial challenge due to COVID-19 and can't pay my bill. What do I need to do to avoid disconnection?
State law requires utility customers facing a financial challenge during the pandemic to fill out a Financial Hardship form and a Deferred Payment Plan. The forms for ML&P customers are here.
What are my billing and payment options?
How and where can I pay my ML&P bill after the anticipated close date of October 30?
You can pay your last ML&P bill using Chugach's payment options. See the "What are Chugach's payment options" below.
Will my ML&P AutoPay transfer over to Chugach's AutoPay Program?
No. For your security, payment information will not be transferred from ML&P to Chugach. If you would like to pay with automatic payments, you will need to enroll in Chugach's AutoPay Program after the anticipated close date of October 30.
How do I enroll into Chugach's AutoPay Program?
You will be able to enroll in Chugach's AutoPay Program through the My Account member portal. My Account allows you to pay your bill, sign up for paperless billing, enroll in AutoPay, track your usage, and sign up for outage and threshold notifications.
How do I make a payment in the My Account member Portal?
In November, you will be able to register and make a payment in the My Account member portal. In the meantime, learn more about the benefits or watch a “how to” tutorial on the My Account webpage.
Will my bank bill pay service, or other third party payments, transfer from ML&P to Chugach?
No. For your security, payment information will not be transferred from ML&P to Chugach; therefore, you will need to update your bank bill pay services and/or any other third-party payments in November 2020.
What are Chugach's payment options?
- AutoPay – For your convenience, enroll in AutoPay on the My Account member portal. Pay by debit/credit card or bank account.
- Pay online – You can pay online, through the My Account member portal or through our Pay Now option 24 hours/day.
- Pay by phone – You can call Chugach’s automated payment line, available 24 hours/day, at (907) 762-7803.
- Pay by Mail – You can mail your payment.
- Pay while you bank – Check with your bank or credit union, many of them offer bill payment services at no charge. Any branch of First National Bank Alaska will accept your Chugach Electric payment on your current bill. Be sure to bring your current billing statement.
- Pay at the Chugach office – Stop by our office to pay your bill.
Will my ML&P Budget Billing transfer over to Chugach?
Yes. Chugach's Budget Billing program is called LevelPay, and if you are currently enrolled in ML&P's Budget Billing, your account will be automatically enrolled to Chugach's LevelPay program.
What are Chugach's billing options?
- Paperless: Chugach will notify you by e-mail when your electric bill is ready. Sign up for paperless billing through the My Account member portal and receive a one-time $5 credit on your next bill.
- Level Pay: LevelPay is offered to Residential and Small Commercial members and is based on 12 months of usage.
Will my Landlord Tenant Agreement transfer over to Chugach?
No. Automatic Landlord and Property Management Agreements will be available to you beginning in November 2020. Landlord and Property Management agreements provide for additional notice, saves money on fees, and protects property from freeze-up during winter months by automatically putting electric service in the property owner's name when a tenant moves or does not pay.
How do I sign up for the My Account member portal?
In November, you will be able to sign up for the My Account member portal when you have your Chugach member-account number needed for registration. Chugach will have a member-account number lookup tool available to you in November. In the meantime, learn more about the My Account portal here.