payment options for members impacted by COVID-19
Chugach Electric has a new process for making payment arrangements with residential members facing a financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
On March 17, Chugach temporarily suspended disconnects due to non-payment and stopped assessing late payment fees due to the challenges members are facing from the impacts of COVID-19. The Alaska State Legislature then passed SB 241, a measure that includes language prohibiting utilities from shutting off residential service during the pandemic for customers experiencing financial hardship related to the COVID-19 public health disaster emergency.
To be eligible for the temporary payment relief, residential customers must sign a sworn statement saying they are unable to pay because of COVID-19 issues and agree to enter into a deferred payment plan. The legislation says utility customers are still responsible for payment of their utility bills but must sign the declaration in order to defer payment to a future date when the financial hardship due to COVID-19 is over. Although SB 241 is specific to residential members, Chugach is extending the temporary moratorium to commercial members who are experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19.
Click the link below to fill out the hardship statements and deferred payment agreements. Make sure you have your Chugach member account number available, found on a billing statement before beginning your form completion. Members can call (907) 563-5060 for assistance.
Residential Financial Hardship Relief due to Covid-19 (online submittal)
Commercial Financial Hardship Relief due to Covid-19 (online submittal)
Chugach reopens lobby with limited entry
Several COVID-19 procedures in place to protect members and employees
Consistent with state and local guidance, Chugach Electric Assoc., is reopening its lobby with limited entry beginning at 8 am on Monday, May 4, 2020. As a result of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) and as a precautionary measure for the safety of all, Chugach closed its lobby to the public on March 17. As both the State of Alaska and the Municipality of Anchorage are now releasing guidelines and safety criteria to allow businesses to reopen or expand operations, Chugach will reopen 8 am to 5 pm weekdays with new procedures in place.
Preparing for the reopening, Chugach has taken several steps to help ensure the health and safety of employees and members, while working to slow the spread of COVID-19. Those steps include:
Social Distancing precautions –
- Limiting the number of members in the lobby to six at one time
- Installing plexiglass shields in front of each member service station
- Placing social distancing (min. six feet) markers inside and outside the lobby
- Removing seating that would place people too close together
- Mapping procedures that will allow members to safely wait for their turn in vehicles or outside
Health & Safety precautions --
- Those who are ill or showing symptoms of illness are asked to not visit in person
- Fabric face coverings are strongly encouraged. Disposable masks will be provided to members upon request
- Cleaning supplies will be provided to employees for hourly cleaning of high-touchpoint areas
- Frequent hand washing by employees required
- Water and coffee station not available during the health emergency
Chugach has a system for separating those needing to pay a bill from those needing to talk to a member service representative. Members are asked to limit the number of people from each family needing to visit the lobby to two individuals in order to safely and expediently serve as many members as possible.
Chugach encourages members to do business with us by phone or online whenever possible.
- Call our Member Services department at (907) 563-7366 or toll free (800) 478-7494
- Utilize the online My Account member portal where you can view and pay bills, track usage, and sign up for alerts
- Pay your bill by phone by calling (907) 762-7803
- Utilize our payment drop box outside of our building at 5601 Electron Drive
Other links and resources
|Municipality of Anchorage|
|Alaska Heating Assistance Program (LIHEAP)|
|State of Alaska|
|Alaska COVID-19 Dashboard|
|Alaska Power Association - resources for businesses|
|Small Business Emergency Loans|
|Centers for Disease Control|
|World Health Organization|