Skip to main content
August 18, 2006 at 1:40pm

Streetlight out?

Streetlight Maintenance, August 2006

School starts Aug. 22, at a time when Alaskans are losing daylight. As kids head to school, remember that many of them will depend on streetlights as they walk to or from school or wait on the roadside to catch a bus.

As you drive or walk through your neighborhoods, if you notice a streetlight that is not working, call to report it. As a general rule, there are four different types of owners - Municipal, State, privately-owned and utility. Usually streetlights along main thoroughfares such as Tudor Road, the Seward and Glenn highways and Minnesota Boulevard will belong to either the State or the Municipality. Streetlights in subdivisions can belong to either a private homeowner association or the Municipality or a utility.

When reporting out-of-order streetlights, call 343-4557 for Municipal-owned lights or 338-1466 for State-owned lights. Chugach's streetlight number is 762-7676. If you happen to notice a traffic signal that is out of order, those can be reported to 343-8355. If you are not sure who has the responsibility for the streetlight, any of the organizations will help to determine who needs to be contacted.

Chugach is the largest electric utility in Alaska, providing power for Alaskans throughout the Railbelt through retail, wholesale and economy energy sales.

For more information, contact Patti Bogan, 762-4736 (desk) 272-0704 (cell)